Registration for RAP's 2018 Summer Intensive will open April. 1st! Early bird rates will run through until May. 15th.
Reforming Art Productions' (RAP) Summer Youth Company Intensive is a unique summer training opportunity that provides a safe and nurturing environment for students to pursue the highest standard of technique, while also developing their artistry through mentored creative experimentation.
Different than any other summer intensive, RAP's training program is designed to reflect an authentic dance company experience. We are committed to honouring the unique value that every individual brings to our space. Our small class sizes allow for every dancer to feel that their presence has been heard, seen, and valued.
It is our mission to help students recognize their abilities to positively contribute within themselves. Students can expect to leave our program having developed a stronger body, a deeper sense of self-worth, and an authentic understanding of their contributory value.
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE IN A PROFESSIONAL DANCE COMPANY?
Our scheduling is designed to reflect what a day in the life of a professional dancer looks like, with classes running Monday through Friday from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm.
With an emphasis on movement exploration and the development of new works, students will have the opportunity to showcase what they have created, with an informal studio showing on the last day of classes.
STUDENTS CAN EXPECT DAILY CLASSES IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Contemporary Ballet
- Contemporary Techniques
- Pointe Work
- Composition: Through guided mentorship, students will have the opportunity to develop their own choreographic skills through creative investigation.
- RAP Training: A unique program tailored specific for dancers needs, this block offers workshops in conditioning, Yoga, Pilates, Injury Prevention, Stretching, and Health
- Rehearsal: Every week students will contribute to the creation of a new work that will be shown on the final day of classes.
RAP WORKSHOP SERIES
Happening once a week, dancers will have the opportunity to participate in development workshops exclusive to RAP summer mentorship students. Take a look at some examples of our workshop series:
- Meet the Local Artist (A small panel of Vancouver artists will be brought in to speak to dancers about their transition from student to professional and to describe how dance has influenced their career. Students will have the opportunity to participate in a Q + A and networking activities with the artists)
- Group Discussions on different careers involving dance education.
- Available Vancouver Resources for the young dancers to help aid in transition from student to professional will be discussed (Information will be supplied by CADA WEST and the Dancer Transition Resource Centre BC)
- Health in the dance world/dealing with stress inside the studio (includes injury prevention)
|10:00 to 11:30||Ballet||Ballet||Ballet||Ballet||Ballet|
|11:30 to 12:30||RAP |
|12:30 to 1:00||break||break||break||break||break|
|1:00 to 3:00||Rehearsal||Rehearsal||Rehearsal||Rehearsal||Rehearsal|
|3:00 to 4:00||Contemporary Technique||Contemporary Technique||Contemporary Technique||Contemporary Technique||RAP |
Ballet: These classes focus on developing musicality, balance, correct muscle use, alignment and flexibility. Students learn the terminology of classical ballet through barre and center work. For the more advanced dancer, point shoes are encouraged to be worn for this class.
Contemporary: This creative and grounded style of dance develops strength and dynamic phrasing. It uses the technique of contraction, release, fall and recovery, while also encouraging experimentation through guided improvisation exercises.
Composition: Improvisations, Tasks, Phrase Manipulation. This workshop will provide dancers with the tools and freedom needed to create their own movement. Results created from this workshop will be showcased on July 22.
Rehearsal: Every day students will be a part of the creation of a new work. These works will be showcased on Friday July 22.
RAP TRAINING: Reforming Art Productions unique conditioning program. Changing daily, students will receive a taste of what it is like to be a RAP dancer. With activities including running on the seawall, ball conditioning, Pilates and Yoga techniques, Injury Prevention, Stretching. Students will need athletic clothing, running shoes, Yoga Mats, water bottles.
Reforming Art promotes healthy bodies in ballet! With certified instructors, Reforming Art is proud to provide all students with Progressive Ballet Training as a method of conditioning.
A mixture of Pilates and ball work, Progressive Ballet Training is an innovative conditioning program designed to help students understand the depth of training muscle memory in achieving their personal best in classical ballet.